Dental Assistant Grants and Scholarships

There are both dental assistant certificate programs and associate degree programs. A certificate program will take around a year and an associate degree typically requires two years to complete. For those considering dental assistant training, there are several dental assistant grants and scholarships available.

American Dental Association Scholarship

One of the dental assistant scholarships that are available is through the American Dental Association. This scholarship is available for students that are pursuing a career as a dentist, hygienist, or dental assistant. The funds provided through this scholarship can be used to pay for books, tuition, and living costs. There are two scholarships offered through the American Dental Association that are specifically for those seeking to become a dental assistant: the Dental Assisting Scholarship and the Scholarship for Minority Dental Students.

Bettie Underwood Scholarship for Dental Assisting

Bettie Underwood was a leader among dental assistants in the state of California and throughout the nation. When she passed away, a scholarship fund for future dental assistants in the state of California was created. The Bettie Underwood scholarship for Dental Assisting offers $1000 for individuals that are enrolled in a dental assisting program within the state of California. The scholarship is awarded based on academic achievement, financial need, and desire for a career within the field of dentistry.

National Dental Association Scholarships

Through the National Dental Association, there are several types of scholarships available for those seeking a dental assisting degree. These scholarships are available in varying amounts and for different levels of education. Most require some type of community service in order to apply for the scholarship. Additionally, most of these scholarships require a GPA of 3.5 or higher and letters of recommendation. Typically, an essay is required as well.

Click on your state to receive information about Schools near you!

Kaiser-Permanente Dental Assistant Scholarship

For residents of Oregon and Washington, the Kaiser-Permanente scholarship is available. In order to qualify for this scholarship an individual must be enrolled in a qualified dental assisting program within one of these two states. There is no limit to the amount of the scholarship and it is based strictly on financial need for full-time students. There is an undetermined amount of these scholarships awarded each year. In order to apply for the scholarship an individual will need to visit the Oregon state website.

Pell Grants

Most dental assistant grants are federally funded and based solely on financial need. The most common type of federal grant that is given is the Pell grant. This grant is awarded to those individuals who are going back to school and qualify under the federal financial aid guidelines. In order to apply for a Pell Grant an individual will simply fill out the FAFSA form before applying to school. The information provided will be sent to the schools of the studentís choosing. The studentís financial information will determine qualification for the Pell Grant.

Along with grants and scholarships, there are student loans available for those who qualify. Most student loans can be used to pay for your education and will not have to be paid back until after graduation. With some hard work, dedication, and the motivation to succeed, any serious student can ensure an affordable college education in dental assisting.
Click On Your City To Get Information of The Best Schools!!!